British Antarctic Survey seeks to recruit a suitable First Officer pilot for an exciting new opportunity with extraordinary career and personal development opportunities.
The successful candidate will be trained to fly the Dash 7 aircraft in the complex Antarctic airbridge mission and deep field logistics support roles. The right candidate can, after a suitable period, anticipate adding the DHC-6 type rating, with a view to future Twin Otter Command. The role also includes diverse opportunity to support aspects of the ground operation including hangar and runway management and maintenance. The candidate is expected to rapidly become fully involved with all aspects of flying, deep-field and ground activities, quickly becoming a key member of the Air Unit team and providing continuity to that team for at least four years. In addition to advancement to DHC-6 Captain, the role will naturally develop into type qualification on BAS's Dash 7 replacement aircraft forming the core airbridge and airborne heavy logistics capability for the next 25 years. This post is unusual and varied and BAS will invest heavily in the training and development of the right candidate.
- Aircraft model: DHC7
- Type required: No
- Languages: English
- EASA ATPL or Frozen ATPL (CPL with ATPL subjects);
- Multi-crew Cooperation Course (MCC);
- The unrestricted right to live and work in UK;
- The unrestricted right to work for a UK Government organisation;
- 1500 hours of total flying experience;
- 250 hours flying experience on Multi-Engine;
- Microsoft package expertise;
- Liaison with Engineering/airworthiness teams;
- Strong team skills;
- Evidence of working within successful teams;
- Resource Management ability;
- Experience of Multi Crew operations.
Skills are listed as either Essential or Desirable. Desirable skills importance rating in parenthesis (1 is high, 5 is low):
- Team skills and expertise - Desirable 
- Remote operations experience - Desirable 
- 500 hours Command - Desirable 
- Demonstrate good situational awareness - Desirable 
- Dash 7 or Twin Otter Type Rating - Desirable